The living room is arguably one of the most important spaces in the house when it comes to decorating. After all, this is where you meet with guests and where families spend most of their time relaxing.
When it comes to decorating your living room, it should reflect your artistic style and hearty lifestyle. As you decorate this area, keep in mind that every aspect of your home needs to be right for you—especially with the living room.
To help you out, here are some do’s and don’ts that you should keep in mind when decorating your living room.
- When choosing the paint color for your living room, it’s best to rely first on the most expensive item in your living room and decorate around it.
- If you will be using an area rug for your living room floor, make sure all the pieces of furniture fit within it. All four legs of your furniture should be on it—not just for balance but for aesthetic purposes too.
- Pull the furniture away from the walls when possible, as this will help create more intimate conversation areas.
- Hang artwork at eye-level for the best aesthetic experience.
- Have a mix of overhead, ambient, and task lighting. You can use floor lamps, table lamps, and other fixtures to brighten up a room.
- Select throw pillows carefully. Choose pillows that will enhance the look of the room and make sure to invest in high-quality ones too.
- Buy a high-quality sofa that will last the test of time.
- Use only three different patterns in your living room. This way, it won’t be too confusing to your visitors’ eyes.
- Have enough seats available, but don’t overcrowd the room with furniture either.
- Start with the paint color. Paint can be changed easily, so focus on other elements to revolve your living room’s color on.
- Use a rug that is too small for an area.
- Push the furniture against the walls.
- Ignore the importance of dimmer switches.
- Buy a living room chair set. This is an easy and convenient way to decorate your living room, but doing so will make you miss out on the chance to create an interesting and unique space.
- Neglect walkways. Make sure to leave enough room to walk between the furniture in your living room. A good rule of thumb is to leave approximately 16” to 18” of walking space around each fixture.
Now, let’s move on to the things that you should splurge on when decorating your living room. As mentioned, you should invest in a high-quality sofa that will last for years. The sofa is one of the pieces of furniture in the room that will not be replaced for a long time, so make sure it is comfortable and that it’s exactly what you want.
If the whole family, and most of the people who come over, spend time watching TV shows or movies in the living room, you should invest in an excellent entertainment center. You should also invest in a cozy blanket and art pieces to spruce up the area even more!
On the other hand, there are some things in this area that don’t have to break the bank, such as pillows, side tables, rugs, accessories, and lamps. Be creative when choosing any of these things, and make sure they don’t cost you a lot of money! Fortunately, there are many places you can get these items from, so take your time and choose wisely.
A Room Made for Living
Your living room should be a comfortable and relaxing space—which is why when it comes to decorating it, you should know how to do it properly! While this may seem like it’s just a receiving area for most people, this is the area that all your visitors will first take note of, so it should stand out! When choosing the interiors, take your time and explore several North Carolina furniture companies to truly create the space that you want.
Are you looking for more information about furniture shopping in North Carolina? North Carolina Furniture covers a wide range of articles that will guide you in buying furniture for your living room space. Connect with us and stay updated with the latest interior decorating trends today!